as seen by the
Herts Advertiser & St Albans Times - 1944 (April)

Whst's History Page

The source of the text shown originated in the Herts Advertiser.  It has been re-typed so may have some errors within it - for these we apologies.  Please refer to archived material if in doubt.

Ja Fe Ma Ap  Ma Ju Ju Au Se Oc No De

6th April p2



Suggestions that a pig was slaughtered late at night, in order to evade the Livestock (Restriction on Slaughtering) Regulations were made and denied at St. Alban's Divisional Sessions, on Saturday, when Hugh Gale; Lower Luton-road, Wheathampstead, was summoned for killing a pig for human consumption without lawful authority at Wheathampstead on February 2nd, and .and Jack William Mangham, '20, Folly Field, Wheathampstead, was summoned for causing a pig to be slaughtered without lawful authority at Wheathampstead on February 2nd. Defendants pleaded "Not guilty."

Mr. G. J. C. Beecroft (prosecuting for the Ministry of Food) said that on February 3rd, P.c, Barker went to 20, Folly-field, Wheathampstead, the home of Mangham. and saw there was fresh blood in the pigsty and that there were no live pigs there. He communicated with Mr. J. W. Hewitt, a Ministry of Food Inspector, and went with ,him to 20, Folly-field. later the same day. They .had some conversation with Mrs. Phyllis Mangham, mother of the younger defendant, and, in consequence, went to see Gale, who, when questioned, said he had slaughtered a pig in the sty the previous night. The carcase was removed to his premises to be dressed, and Mangham had taken it away early that morning. Gale said that before he slaughtered the pig, he obtained a license from Mangham. and thought it was all right. He produced a document, which was not filled in at all.  Gale completed the declaration at the back of the form and handed it to Mr. Hewitt.  Mangham was seen at his home. where he produced the pork some in a sack and the rest in a brine tub.  Mangham said he obtained a license from the Food Office at St. Albans to slaughter the pig, and thought it was all right.

Mr. Beecroft, after pointing out that the front of the form handed by Gale to the Inspector was not filled in, or signed, and did not bear the requisite Food Office stamp, said Mr. Hewitt made enquiries. and ascertained that no license to slaughter a pig: had been  issued to Mangham since December 1942.

On February 9th both defendants called at the Food Office and made statements. Mangham said the pig had been in his possession for eight months. He asked his mother about six weeks previously to call at the Food Office for a permit to slaughter it. .She brought back a form, which he handed to Gale when he slaughtered the pig. and this he thought was in order. Gale stated that on February 2nd, Mangham asked him to kill a pig.  He asked Mangham for the permit which he gave him. Gale did not notice that the form was not filled in. but thought it was all right because it had been given to Mangham by someone at St. Albans Food Office. .

Evidence was given by P.c. Barker and Jack W. Hewitt.

'No Difficulty."

In reply to Mr. R. E. Seaton (for defendants), Mr. Hewitt said the only matter in dispute in the case was the question of the permit. A person who kept pigs and desired to slaughter one made application to the Food Office for a license to slaughter. They were given an application form to fill In. and. when it was completed and re turned, the license was issued.  There were no difficult¥ in getting licenses. On all the occasions he was interviewed, Mangham had asserted he had a license. The form which had been produced was obsolete and had been out of use since August, 1943.

'Mr. Seaton: have you any explanation as to how this blank license came into the hands of the defendant?- Witness: I have no explanation. 

Mrs. Olive May Holman: a clerk at the St. Albans Food Office in charge of the issuing of  licenses for the slaughter of livestock, said there was no record of any application having been received from Mangham for a license to slaughter the pig in question and no record showing that a license had been issued. 

Witness did not remember issuing the form in question to any lady who called at the office. The present form of license was entirely different to that document, and had been in force since September 1st, 1943.  In reply to Mr. Seaton, witness said that. when confronted with Mrs. Mangham and her daughter at the Food Office, she remembered that they had called, but she did not say she remembered issuing the form in question and also denied that she said she could not understand how she came to make such a mistake. 

Answering other questions. Witness said that when the new license forms were provided, the old ones were placed at the back of the file; and in reply to Mr. W. R. Hiskett (a member of the Bench) she stated that it was not possible that she issued an old license form in mistake for an application form, because they were so different. 

At the close of the evidence for the prosecution, Mr. .Seaton said he was bound, on behalf of defenldants, to withdraw the plea of "Not guilty,"  because he could not pretend that, in law, a blank and unsigned document was a valid permit to kill the pig. Mrs. Phyllis Mangham said she went, in company with her daughter, to the St, Albans Food Office early in January, on behalf of her son, and asked for "a form to kill a pig." Mrs. Holman handed her the form in question, and said:  "You must not kill the pig within a month." She handed the form to her son.,and, later, went back to the Food Office.  At first, Mrs. Holman did not recognise her, but afterwards she did so, and said she did not know how she came to make the mistake over the form, and that she should have given witness a small form.

Mr. Beecroft .suggested to witness that on February 3rd she made a statement to Mr. Hewitt, in which she said she could not say whether her son had a license to kill the pig. She agreed that she wrote " Mrs. Mangham " at the end of the statement; and, in reply to Mr. Seaton, added: " I can't read, and Mr. Hewitt did not read it over to me before I signed it."

"Handed a Form."

Nanmy Mangham, 20, Folly-field, Wheathampstead, sister of the younger defendant, gave evidence of visiting the St. Albans Food Office with her mother during the first week in January, when she said her mother was handed the form in question.  She went there again on March 4th, and recognised Mrs. Holman as being the person who handed the form to her mother. She alleged that Mrs. Holman said, "she could not make out now she gave us that form."

In reply to Mr. L. M. Legerton (a member of the Bench), witness said that when they were handed the form they were told to fill it in and not to kill the pig for a month.

Mangham said that when he received the form from his mother, he thought it was in order as it was exactly the same as he had when he killed a pig in December, 1942.

The Clerk (Mr. T. Anderson Davis): Did you notice that the form had not been filled in? - Mangham: I did not I take that notice.

"I thought everything was in order," said Mangham in reply to Mr. Beecroft, and he added:. "I have eaten all the pork myself."  Gale said that when the form was handed to him, he did not look at it, and took it for granted that it was in order.

" I have got nothing out of this, only a lot of trouble," he added.

"This is such a si1lybusiness'.' said Mr. Seaton. "It is a breach of the law, but it is a breach which need not have been committed.  We know that if a permit had been applied for, a permit would have been issued, and  Mr. Mangham would have enjoyed his meal without the after-effects of having to appear in the Police Court and there could have been no case against Gale." 

Superintendant J. A. Hales said nothing was known against Mangham.  In April, 1942. Gale was fined £50 for obtaining meat otherwise than through the Ministry 0f Food and £50 for selling meat not obtained through the Mil1istry of Food. 

The Justices, over whom Mr. M. G, Dashwood presided, fined Mangham £5 and Gale £20. 



A civil action lasting at least three-and-a- half days, at the resumed Herts Assizes, at Hertford. last week, was of much interest to agriculturists. 

The action mainly concerned a quantity of chalk applied to about thirty' acres of grassland at Lamer Park, Wheathampstead. In the result, because the Judge found that the chalk was not properly spread on the land, the supplying firm failed in their claim made upon the farmer. Plaintiffs were Lime Supplies, Ltd., of  St. Albans, and the defendant was Mr. H. Grenville Hill, of Bury Farm. Wheathampstead.

Plaintiffs claimed £246 9s. 2d. for the supply. transport and spreading of the chalk.  Mr. Hill denied liability and made a counter-cla1m for .£200 in respect of damages which, he alleged, he had sustained as a result of the chalk being badly spread. During the hearing, defendant sought to increase his counter-claim to £538.

Alleged Bad Spreading

Plaintiffs contended that, apart from two spots, where special circumstances operated, the chalk was properly spread. On Mr. Hill's behalf, it was argued that the spreading of the chalk was very uneven - that at some places it was left in heavy patches, through which no herbage could grow, while some other areas of the land received no chalk at all. The pasture, it was said, had, accordingly greatly declined in value and defendant had received expert official advice that it would be necessary to plough up the land.

On the second day of the hearing, before the Court sat, Mr. Justice Lawrence personally journeyed, in a Police car, accompanied by Supt. E. B. Spicer to view the field concerned.  On Friday (March 31st), his Lordship found in favour of Mr. Hill, who was awarded £160 damages with costs.

In the course of his summing-up, his Lordship said the spreading of the chalk was a difficult job. The only labour available for the purpose appeared to have been that of land girls and conscientious objectors, and he had no doubt that considerable difficulties had to be faced.

The Judge pointed out that the issue had been raised as to whether the contract was one for goods or for work and labour done.  In his opinion it was a contract for work and labour done; although the spreading of the chalk, in a financial sense, was not a major part of the matter, it was really the essence of the contract.  Some of the chalk afterwards became incapable of being spread and incapable of being recovered. The purchaser could not, therefore, refuse to accept the chalk, but was saddled with it.

The Judge likened the contract to one for painting a house or paneling a room. In such cases. where there was a failure to do the work properly, it would be impossible to meet the damage by a rejection of the goods supplied for the work. Referring to the fact that the Defendant had made no claim for the customary Government subsidy where grassland is treated with chalk. on the ground that the chalk was not properly spread, the Judge intimated that he would not take that matter into account in relation to the damages. There was nothing in the regulations that made it impossible for the defendant to receive the subsidy in the future for the chalk put on his land.

"It is a matter of the very greatest difficulty to estimate the damages in a case of this sort," remarked the Judge, who added that he thought it was unreasonable and unwise that the plaintiffs had not conformed to the wish of the defendant that the matter should be referred to an agricultural arbitrator



There were no parishioners, apart from members of the Parish Council, at the Annual Parish Meeting, held at the Senior School, Wheathampstead, on Thursday of last week, under the chairmanship of Dr. R. T. Leiper.

On matters arising from the minutes it was reported that most of the allotments were let, with the exception of those at Gustard Wood, where old inhabitants had died and men were absent with the Forces, leaving some vacant plots. In one case, where the Clerk had -been unable to recover arrears of rent amounting to £1 12s, he was instructed to institute legal proceedings,

The number of people now using the Library, it was stated, was considerable, and a vote of thanks was accorded Mrs. Ling and Miss Hawkins for their work in this connection. 

Accounts of the Parish Council and of the parochial charities for the year ended March 31st, 1943, were presented, those in respect of the charities showing increasing balances, that of the Marshall Charity, in particular. being a big step up on the balance of ,the previous year, due to the absence of boys and girls desiring apprenticeship. Satisfaction was expressed that the Parrish would be in a fortunate position, after the war, for giving young people valuable assistance, when apprenticeships would again be taken up. 

" A Misunderstanding,"

Mr. W. R. Euinton (Secretary of the Committee of the Wheathampstead Ambulance Fund) submitted accounts in connection with the running of the ambulance, and Mr. T. Sparrow. who, at the previous meeting of the Parish Council, made a statement to the effect that the vehicle was not in running order, was present at a meeting which followed the Parish Meeting, and stated that the Committee was satisfied that the ambulance was in perfect running order and could be used at any time. It appeared, he said, that there was a misunderstanding.

"Danger to Children."

To minimise danger to children running down the embankment from the council houses at Marford, into the Hatfield-road, it was agreed that the County Surveyor be written to with a request to remove part of the slope.

Parish Council

At a meeting of the Parish Council Which followed, it was reported that Mr. Tr. Sparrow had supervised a considerable amount of cleaning and tidying up of the Devil's Dyke, which, it was stated, was in better condition than it had, been for several years.

In connection with the reported barricading, with logs, of a footpath from Wheathampstead-hill to Nomansland Common, it was suggested that this had been done to prevent horse-riders from Harpenden making use of the path.  The Clerk was requested to write to Mr. H. G. Hill, of Bury Farm, asking for the removal of the obstruction. ,

On the recommendation of' its finance Committee, the Council agreed to precept on the Rating Authority for the sum of £50 to meet expenditure during the coming half-year.



Members of No.1 Platoon, " E " Company (Wheathampstead) of the 7th Herts Battalion of the Army Cadet Force held a supper at the Senior School, Wheathampstead, on Saturday, in celebration of their success in winning the championship of the 7th Battalion Football League. A gathering of sixty Cadets and guests was presided over by Capt. W. J. Housden (Officer Commanding" E " Company).

After the loyal toast, that of "Absent friends " was honoured, reference being made to those serving in the forces and those who had made the supreme sacrifice.

In reply to the toast of "His Majesty's Forces," Lieut.-Col. J. K. Wenham (Officer Commanding 5th Battalion Herts Home Guard) congratulated the Cadets on their achievement and emphasised the importance of team work which would be so much called for among the var1ous Serv1ces. in the great tasks of battle which lay immediately ahead.

The Chairman submitted a toast to Major F. D. Wiseman (Officer Commanding the 7th Battalion. Army Cadet Force), and, addressing his remarks mainly to the Cadets.  In his reply, Major Wiseman expressed himself as a firm believer in youth, and deplored the frustration it encountered, principally from older people. He drew attention to the part the Cadets are play1ng in the national effort. .

Thanks to all who had helped "E" Company in the sphere of sport and in other ways were expressed by Lieut, P, K. Thornton. who asked the company to drink to the health of the guests for whom, Major G. C. Warren, Mr. H. G. Hill and Sergt. C, A. Pegram, of the Army P,T. Corps. replied. expressing their readiness to help in any way possible to further the interests of the young men,

In proposing the toast to the successful team, Major Wiseman paid tribute to its excellent performance in winning every league match, which was, he said, a matter of real, honest team work.

The speaker handed the Battalion cup to Cadet Alan Potter, Captain of the team.  In acknowledgment. Cadet Potter said so much had been done for them that they had only to score the goals, and prevent their opponents doing likewise.

The rest of the evening was taken up with an excellent film display, the projectionist being Mr.. C, H. Hart. of St. Albans,

The supper was prepared and served by Mesdames Thornton, Wright, Ivory, O'Brien, Bradley, Cunnington and Chapman, assisted by six senior girls of St, Helen's School. Messrs. Cox, Ivory and Thornton also rendered much useful help.  The opportunity was taken during the evening to accord hearty thanks to the ladles.


The death occurred, at her home, 6, Marshall's-way, Wheathampstead, on Saturday, after a short illness, of Mrs. Sarah Jane Elvin, Widow of Mr. Richard Elvin. A native of Yorkshire, she resided in Scotland before coming to Wheathampstead nearly eight years ago.  She was member of the Wheathampstead W.V.S. Of her four dlaughters, Miss Kitty, Elvin is a Ranger Lieutenant in the Home Emergency Service, and Miss Betty Elvin is a Captain in the 1st Wheathampstead Girl Guides.  Two sons are with the Forces.  The funeral took place on Tuesday, when a .service in the Parish Church preceded the cremation at Golders Green.  At the service conducted by the Rev. A. M Baird-Smith, the hymns "Abide with me" and "The day Though gavest Lord, is ended" were sung.  After cremation, the ashes were scattered at the same spot in the Garden of Rest where those of her husband were scattered.  The mourners were Mr. R Elvin (son), Gunner A H and Mrs. Elvin (son and daughter-in-law), Sergt. J H Elvin (son), Chief Petty Officer S W and Mrs. Clark (son-in-law and daughter), Mrs. W Harrison and the Misses K and B Elvin (daughters), Mrs. A Butterworth (sister), Mr. P Carroll (step-brother), Mrs. P Frei (step-sister), Mr. G Elvin (brother-in-law), Mr. and Mrs. L Butler, Mrs. A Richardson and the Misses P Holmes and J Robertson (friends).  Floral tributes included hose from neighbours and fiends



The Women's Guild of the Congregational Church held its annual meeting last week, friends from Trinity Congregational Church, St. Albans, Hatfield Congregational Church and the Folly Methodist Church being  invited.  Mrs. Day, of Welwyn Garden City, gave an address. A collection for St. Dunstan's amounted to £2 5s. 6d. Mrs. J. Henderson presided.

The Congregational Church held its annual meeting on Tuesday under the chairmanship of the Rev. J, Henderson.  Reports were presented on the work of the various departments of church life, which was shown to be in a healthy state.  Finances were stated to be satisfactory, and it was announced that a gift day would be held in July in support of church

A Presentation was made at the Junior School, on Tuesday, to Miss P. V. Collins, who, after serving, on the assistant staff there for five years, is to be married.  The Rector, as Chairman of the Managers, made the presentation.  The  gifts consisted of a cheque and an electric table 1amp from the Managers, staff and children.  Mr. W. J. Housden (Head-master) said they were sorry to lose Miss Collins, because of ,the highly-efficient manner in which she had carried out her duties.

A Musical Treat was provided at the Senior School by the girls' choir which participated in the festival at St. Albans on the previous Wednesday.  The programme consisted. of items rendered on that occasion.  Parents and adult friends were invited, but it was a pity that only a few were present to enjoy the unusual fare, notable efforts being the singing by the girls of Handel's "Come see where golden-hearted Spring" and " Linden Lea." The choir was assisted by Mrs. Paterson,
who played pianoforte selections, and Robert Ivory, who sang,

14th April p3



Vivid impressions of a soldier on his first visit to the mysterious East are contained in a letter which Mr. W, J. Housden (Headmaster of St. Helens~ Schools, Wheathampstead, and Secretary of Wheathampstead Comforts Fund) has received from a former pupil at the school - Pte. Roy William Sparrow, youngest son of Mr. and Mrs. T. Sparrow, of I, Necton-road Mar ford, Wheathampstead. 

Roy, who is only twenty years of age, was employed by a St. Albans firm before being called up fifteen months ago. He was duly drafted to the Middle East, and he was gravely wounded in action. His father, who is a member of St. Albans Rural Council and the Wheathampstead Parish Council, was informed that his son had been placed on the dangerously-ill list, suffering from gunshot wounds in the chest, right leg, and left shoulder. He rallied, however, and has since arrived in this country, where he is in hospital. 

After thanking Mr. Housden for a letter sent and also parcels which. apparently, he had not then received owing to his changes of address, he states that he is well on the way to recovery; and after a reference to the ghastly sights of war goes on : 

"Like a Sleeping City."

" The first grand sight that catches the eye after entering the blue Mediterranean is the beautiful coast- line of Algeria, with its tall, sand-coloured hills, dotted with trees; and the mysterious quietness of the place. Eventually Algiers itself comes into view, looking like a sleeping city, with its rather large houses the dominating factor. The sun is hot, of course, and one notices that all the houses are white with red roofs, with the city's Mosque on a small hill. and one can see the tracks which are used to get to it.

"On landing. you are greeted with a rather queer Oriental smell, and notice a yellowish dust that smells musty. It isn't long before you see the first Arab, who surprises one because he doesn't wear the clothes one was led to believe he did.  He seems quite contented with some left-off European attire. 

Green Dates

" The centre of the city is very European, of course, with modern cars and electric trams, but one noticeable difference exists in the bunches of tall date palms, with their clusters of green dates, which seem too heavy for the tree.

"Travelling up the coast and leaving Algiers behind, you find yourself on what is called the coastal road, which takes you through some of the real Arab villages, where Arabs are Arabs, and dress accordingly; where you find them with their camels and asses. You laugh to find the menfolk riding the asses and the womenfolk walking behind, carrying their belongings on their heads. 

"There appears to be only one water point in the centre of the village, where children and womenfolk are filling their earthenware pots, which are carried on their heads. By this time you begin to get that dry taste which results from breathing the dry, sandy air, and it is only the fear of disease that stops you from drinking yourself to death. As night falls you are much revived by the cool. fresh air, but much dismayed by the continual buzzing of the  mosquito, which delights to bury its stinger in any fresh European blood 

The Desert.

"You are nearing the Tunisian border now, having left the hills behind, and are confronted with the waste of the desert. You may now stop for a rest, and, settling down for a moment, you are amazed to be surrounded by wandering Arabs. who have, you think come out of the blue, or have grown through the sand and who are displaying to you their water melons.

"Through Tunis, Souse, Sfax, and most other Tunisian towns, eager eyes pick out much of interest, and on to Tripolitania. Here you will find vegetation taking a little more form, although you know you are still in the desert. Towns pass by until you come to one by the name of Rorran Sabratha, where you are interested to find some of the most famous ruins in the world. The ruins really are a masterpiece of old Roman days, with the Roman town itself in a very fine state of preservation. 

"Leaving these famous ruins be hind. you come at last to Tripoli, with its high Italian flavour, and can at last cool yourself down with an ice-cream, and picture in your mind all you have seen on your way there.

"The writer concludes with an expression of gratitude felt by village boys on hearing from their former schoolmaster, showing that his interest in them does not stop when they leave school. 



One of the famous" Desert Rats " of the Eighth Army, recently returned from the Middle East, Sergt. Ronald Wynford Maple, M.M., of the Royal Tank Regiment, son of the late Mr. and Mrs. W. Maple, of Treherbert, Rhondda Valley. Wales. was married at Wheathampstead Parish Church on Saturday.  His bride was Miss Cynthia Ellen Powell, daughter of Mr. A. Powell, of the Old Rectory, Ayot St. Lawrence, and the late Mrs. Powell. 

The Rev. A M. Baird-Smith officiated. Wearing a dress of white taffeta, with veil and headdress, and carrying a bouquet of red carnations and lilies of the valley, the bride was given away by her father, 

The attendants - the Misses Kathleen White and Eveline Toyer (cousin of the bride) - were in pale green taffeta and pink satin beaute, with Juliet caps of green and gold and pink and gold respectively. They had posies of violets, primroses, and hyacinths.

Pte. David Toyer, of the R.E.M.E., was best man. 

Following the reception in the Church Room, Sergt. and Mrs. Maple left for Bristol for the honeymoon, the bride wearing a green dress and a navy coat and hat. 



The part of women in the work of local government formed the basis of a talk given by Miss G. V. Peake, Chairman of St. Albans Rura1,Council, to members of the Women's Institute at their meeting at the Senior School, on Wednesday. The Institute percussion band, conducted by Mrs. Ball, performed during the social half-hour, Mrs. A, W. O'Brien being at the pianoforte, A gift stall for Welwyn Hospital included a parcel of needlework and haberdashery sent to a member by a letter-friend in Canada. 

The adjourned Inquest on Mr. Francis William Goodwin, of 1, Marshall's Heath, Wheathampstead, a member of the control staff of the District Superintendent of the L.N.-E.R. at Knebworth, was held at Harpenden, on Tuesday, by the Deputy Coroner (Mr. F. Turner). Dr. H. L. Beale stated that, following a post-mortem examination on March 13th. certain organs were sent to a laboratory for examination. and the result was completely negative.  In his opinion, the cause of death was acute myocarditis. Although deceased was a patient, witness had not treated him within any significant period. The whole thing, he said, was extremely unusual. The Deputy Coroner recorded a verdict of "Death from natural causes."

14th April p4


Mr. and Mrs. Frederick Ellingham.. of "The Willows" Luton-road, Wheathampstead. have received a letter from the War Office informing them that, following an earlier notification, a further report had been received from the military authorities that their eldest. daughter, Sister Gladys May Barwell, of the East African -Military Nursing Service, must now be presumed to have lost her life when the vessel in which she was taking passage was sunk as the result of enemy action. 

Sister Barwell. who was 31 years of age, was born at Luton, where her parents formerly resided, and attended St.Helen's School, Wheathampstead, and Harpenden Church of England School .

She subsequently took up employment in Harpenden. and was well known in both the Folly and Batford Methodist churches, where she was a Sunday School teacher until she went to London to train as a nurse. 

She received her general training at Highgate Hospital, and worked in several other London hospitals, obtaining her S.R.N., C.M.B. and R.F.N. . certificate. She also spent a year at the Hospital for Tropical Diseases. 

Sister. G. M. Barwell

In 1938 she went to South Africa, where she worked in the Hospital for Infectious Diseases Capetown, and at Livingstone, Northern Rhodesia. In 1940 she volunteered for service with the Army, and travelled by air from Livingstone to Nairobi to enlist as a sister in the East African Military Nursing Service, In that capacity she had served in Kenya, British Somaliland and Abyssinia. 

In March, 1943 she was married, at Nairobl Cathedral, to Captain ..Cliff  Batwell, of the King's African Rifles. but decided to continue nursing until after the war. She was looking forward to being able then to settle down on her husband's firm at Sotik, Kenya. 

Capt. Barwell moved with his unit to Ceylon last Summer, and there was a possibility that Sister Barwell might be transferred to the Ceylon Command. It is thought that she was on her way there when the vessel in which she was taking passage was sunk.  A brother, L.A.C. Eric Ell1ngham, is serving abroad with the R.A.F., and a sister, L/Corpl. Mary Alexander, is in the A.T.S.  L/Corpl. Alexander's husband, Pte. Douglas Alexander, of the Royal Tank, Regiment, is a prisoner of war in Germany

21st April p3


Twelve Score of Eggs were sent to Welwyn Hospital as the result of a service at Easter at the Parish Church.

Dance.-Members of the local Army Cadet Force are appreciative of the effort of Mrs. E. Linsdell in recently arranging a dance in support of their welfare funds, as the result of which £5 has been handed over to their Commanding Officer (Capt. W. J. Housden). 

A life-long inhabitant, and an employe of Mr. G. Simons, butcher, for many years, Mr. Arthur East, who died in Oster House Hospital, St. Albans, was 81. Of late years he had worked as a jobbing gardener. His wile died in 1917, and for twenty years he had lived with a son-in-law and daughter, Mr. and Mrs. H. Rainsdon.  He leaves four sons and five daughters. Three sons served in the last war. The funeral took place in the Parish Churchyard, the Rev. A. M. Baird-Smith officiating.

Anniversary gatherings in celebration, of the induction, a year ago, of the Rev. J. Henderson were held at the Congregational Church last week-end. A large company sat down to tea, prepared by Mrs. Henderson and lady helpers, on .Saturday. A thanks-giving service followed, the address being given by Mr. Lancelot Smith. The Minister and the Rev. Lansdown West, of Berkhamsted, were the preachers on Sunday, and on Monday Harpenden Salvation Army Songsters gave a varied programme. greetings being expressed by the Commanding Officer of the Corps (Major C. Mercer). The proceeds (£12) were for church general expenses.




Presiding at the Easter Vestry, which preceded the Annual Parochial Church Meeting, held at the Senior School, Wheathampstead, on Friday, the Rev. A. M. Baird-Smith again nominated Mr. G. C. Norbury as his Warden for the ensuing year, and Mr. W. R. Euinton was re-elected People's Warden.

Giving his report as co-Trustee, with the Churchwardens, of the annual meeting of the Lattimore and Straw Charities, held at the Rectory last November, the Rector said the collective balances were £21 19s. 6d. It was resolved to give two cwt, of coal to sixty-seven persons, at a cost of £21 4s. 4d., leaving a balance of 15s. 2d. 

Giving a report, on behalf of the Church Council, at the Church Meeting, the Rector stressed the importance of the work for the young, and expressed the hope that after the war, when the provision of a memorial to those who had fallen was considered it should take the form of an institute or village club. 

The Bishop.

 The Rector expressed regret at the resignation of the Bishop, and a resolution, expressing cordial appreciation of his "inspiring and devoted leadership of the Diocese during the past twenty-four years, particularly in connection with the building and maintenance of Church schools," was passed. 

The accounts, presented by the Hon. Treasurer (Mr. W. J. Housden), showed that collections ard offertories amounted to £25 less than last year.  Subscriptions were down by £42, and the proceeds of the Free Will Offering and Gift Day were down by £45, but it is understood that various amounts have been received since the meeting. 

Mrs. P. Mitchell, the Rector and Mr. W. R. Euinton were elected representatives to the Diocesan Conference, and Mrs. A. M. Baird-Smith, Mrs. S. Thornton and Mrs. Hawkins were elected representatives. to the Ruridecanal Conference. Members of the Church Council were re-elected en bloc,

28th April p3



Accepting office for the fourth time as Chairman, at the annual meeting of Wheathampstead Parish Council, on Wednesday, Dr. R. T. Leiper said that, had it not been that war conditions were unusual, he would have felt the office should have gone round, but there were one or two things he would like to see through, and he was grateful for the privilege of continuing for another year.  Mr. W. G. Allen was re-elected Vice-Chairman. 

The Chairman referred to a meeting he had had with Mr. J. H. Newsom (County Director of Education) and a letter which he had received from Mr. Newsom in which he said he would appreciate the opportunity of attending a meeting in the parish and having an informal talk concerning proposals for development in the first five years. He (the Chairman) gathered that it would be in the direction of the Lea Valley Estate, and it might mean that a school would be provided there. 

It was left to the Chairman to arrange a meeting. 

Mrs. D. Cory-Wright and other members referred to the scarcity of playing space for children, with the ploughing up of grassland, and the dangers inherent in the use of the roads, and it was suggested that this was a matter that might be referred to at the proposed meeting. 

An Old Legacy.

Dr. Leiper described a piece of research he had undertaken in connection with a sum of £161 5s. 2d..left to the parish by Mr. Baxendale in 1878.  He said he ascertained that the interest on this sum, in consols, was paid to the Overseers until 1894. Beyond that he could not go, but he happened to ask the Accountant of the St. Albans Rural Council if he had heard of the money received from consols, and was told that that body received it regularly and that it was paid into the general fund of the Council. The Rural Council, the speaker pointed out, was not the Highway Authority, and he had. enquired about the will, which, he understood, was at Llandudno. It occurred to him that they might consult the files of the "Herts Advertiser," as, until they knew the purpose of the gift, he did not know whether it was worth while spending the money. It was obvious it was bequeathed for some purpose connected with highways.

Mr. F. Chennells suggested that the money might have been 1eft for the upkeep of a new road which Mr.  Baxendale made from Gustard Wood to Marshall's Heath. 

The Devil's Dyke.

Following the report, made at the previous meeting, that the Devil's Dyke was, after being cleaned and , tidied up, in better condition than it had been for several years. Mr. T . Sparrow now informed the Council that the nursery firm which gave the Council permission to disconnect a pipe through which waste water had previously flowed into the Dyke, had again connected it and water was once more flowing in. 

The Clerk (Mr. W. F. Hewitt) is to write to the firm asking them to restore the position and Mr. Sparrow was deputed to see that the work is carried out. 



A united social gathering of local Methodists and Congregationalists was held at the Folly Methodist School-room last week, the gathering including the representatives of both churches - the Rev. Francis J. Woods and the Rev. J. Henderson. The programme included musical items which were rendered by members of both churches. The Rev. F. J. Woods acted as M.C. for games.

28th April p4


Dr. and Mrs. M. E. Smallwood, of " The Laurels," Wheathampstead, have been notified that their youngest son Sub-Lieut. Patrick Lovell  Smallwood. R.N,V.R., has been killed on active service. He was 21 years of age.

Born at Wheathampstead, the young officer- went to Bengeo School, Hertford, and Haileybury, and early in 1940 he joined the firm of Messrs. Norris Oakley Bros., stockbrokers, of the London Stock Exchange. 

He was one of the first to join the local Home Guard when the movement was formed in May, 1940. After volunteered for the, navy he was called up in August, 1941. For seven months he was on convoy duty as a rating in a destroyer' in the North Atlantic. 

Coming home in July, 1942, he went into training for his, commission and in January, 1943, was appointed to an M.T.B., in which he had served ever since.

Sub-Lieut. was the child of a second marriage, his mother being the only daughter of the late Dr. Lovell Drage and of Mrs. Drage of "The Laurels" Hatfield.  His brother Capt. David Lovell Smallwood has been serving in the 16th Punjab Regiment in India since May, 1942.

There are a step-brother and two step-sisters.  The first-mentioned is Commandant Cranston Smallwood, of Headquarters No. 1 Group of the royal Observer Corps, and formerly of "White Stacks," Wheathampstead.  His step-sisters are Mrs. Derek Willink, of Westmorland, who is a sister-in-law of the Minister of Health and Section Officer Anne Margaret Smallwood, of the W.A.A.F.

Sub.-Lieut. P. L. Smallwood

The news of Sub-Lieut. Smallwood's death has come as a profound shock to Wheathampstead residents, by whom he was greatly esteemed. 

A keen cricketer and Rugby player; he played cricket for Wheathampstead during his holidays and ,after leaving school.  His other hobbies were riding and beagling. He was a member of the South Herts Beagles. 

Sub-Lieut. Smallwood attended early services at Wheathampstead Parish Church when he was home on leave, and occasionally read the lessons. 

In a further telegram received from the Adrrtira1ty, Dr. and Mrs. Smallwood were informed that the funeral of their son would take place to-day (Friday) -at a Royal Naval Cemetery on the South Coast.

Go top