Updated 26 August 2007
George Mondin 1775 – February 1843
|George married Sarah Hedges, daughter of the Labourer
Thomas Hedges, on the 29th March 1797 in Wheathampstead witnessed by
John Grocer and Joseph Sibley.
During life George must have been a very important part of the general running of the village as he worked as a Carrier and then later as a Constable from at least 1826.
There are numerous records of bills that he presented the Parish for work outside of his usual income. The following is a small selection from the years 1812 to 1814.
He was present in the Voters List of 1832 for Wheathampstead and paid rates for a house belonging to a Miss Tidd between 1835 and 1837 and then a house owned by a Mrs Bassill between 1838 and 1841. George probably presumed that his business would continue under the management of his son William. Following his burial on the 5th February 1843 in Wheathampstead aged 68 William would only have been running the business for another 2˝ years before he died at the young age of 36.
1. Sarah – She was christened on the 14th October 1798 in Wheathampstead.
2. Martha – She was christened on 13th April 1800 in Wheathampstead. Martha gave birth to a daughter called Rebecca on the 3rd March 1819 in Luton. It is not clear whether she married after this event.
3. Mary – She was christened on the 15th August 1802 in Wheathampstead.
4. Elizabeth - She was christened on the 29th July 1804 in Wheathampstead. She married a man with the surname of Arnold in about the year 1826. He may well have died prior to 1841 as Elizabeth was back living with her parents accompanied by 3 of her children.
5. George – He was christened on the 7th September 1806 in Wheathampstead where he was buried on the 15th September 1839 aged 33.
6. Charles – He was christened on the 7th August 1808 in Wheathampstead.
7. William – He was christened on the 12th August 1810 in Wheathampstead where he was buried on the 12th October 1845 aged 36. He was still living with his parents in 1841 and working as a Carrier like his father.
8. John – He was christened on the 11th October 1812 in Wheathampstead. In 1841 he was still living at the family home in Wheathampstead and working as a Farm Labourer.
9. Henry – He was christened on the 30th October 1814 in Wheathampstead where he married Eliza Steed, daughter of Elisha Steed, on the 15th October 1836 witnessed by Samuel Churchill and Rebecca Mondin and was buried on the 9th December 1893 aged 82. For further information see the next ancestor record.
10. Cypsia – She was born on the 6th August 1816 in Wheathampstead where she was christened on the 13th October 1816.
11. Thomas – He was born on the 11th April 1820 in Wheathampstead where he was christened on the 21st May 1820 and was buried on the 14th September 1820.
Henry Mondin 1812 – December 1893
|1851||W’stead||East Lane||Head||Married||39||Agricultural Labourer||W’stead|
|1861||W’stead||The Orchard Cottages||Head||Married||48||Agricultural Labourer||W’stead|
|1871||W’stead||The Orchard||Head||Married||55||Agricultural Labourer||W’stead|
|Henry did not follow the same line of work as that of his father and worked on the farms for all of his adult life. He lived in Wheathampstead all of his life moving on at least 4 occasions after his marriage. He ended his days at the home of his granddaughter
Elizabeth Crawley and her family.
1. Rebecca – She was born on the 14th October 1837 in Wheathampstead where she was christened on the 19th November 1837.
2. Charles – He was born on the 9th February 1842 in Wheathampstead where he was christened on the 13th March 1842.
3. Emma – She was born in about the year 1843 in Wheathampstead where she married the Labourer Charles Humphrey, son of the Labourer James Humphrey, on the 25th August 1861 witnessed by her brother in law George Humphrey and Emma Potter. For further information see the next ancestor record.
4. George – He was born in about the year 1846 in Wheathampstead. By 1881 he was resident at Church Lane in Kimpton with his wife Eliza where he worked as an Agricultural Labourer.
5. Elizabeth – She was born in about the year 1859 in Wheathampstead. She was still with her parents in 1871 and attending school.
Emma Mondin 1842 -
|1851||Wheathampstead||East Lane||Daughter||Single||9||Straw Plaiter||Undefined|
|1861||Wheathampstead||The Orchard Cottages||Daughter||Single||19||Undefined||W’stead|
It was not until the marriage certificate was found that Emma’s surname was discovered. It appears that she lived in Wheathampstead all of her life and was only ever recorded with a profession once before her marriage to Charles Humphrey when she was a child.
See under Charles Humphrey.